Driving market-based improvement in access and care for all Americans
Access to care is more important than ever. While higher-paid Americans can generally access care, all others face huge—often insurmountable—challenges. The COVID-19 pandemic has created an even greater mental health crisis, and employers continue to face tremendous challenges in locating and accessing timely and effective mental health and substance use treatment for their employees
The Center for Workplace Mental Health joined forces with other influential non-profits to develop The Path Forward for Mental Health and Substance Use Project. The purpose of this project is to execute a systematic and measurable approach to improving access to mental health and substance use care by focusing on the following five key areas:
- Improving in-network access to behavioral health specialists.
- Expanding screening & testing for MHSUDs.
- Expanding the Collaborative Care Model of integrated care.
- Improving and sustaining momentum on Tele-behavioral health.
- Ensuring mental health parity compliance.
These five evidence-based reforms exist to dramatically improve early detection and access to behavioral healthcare. Implementation of these reforms is the centerpiece of the Path Forward.
- To Combat the Mental Health and Substance Use Public Health Crisis Employer, Physician and Policy Groups Partner
- The Path Forward for Mental Health and Substance Use Names Eight Regions to Spearhead Employer Efforts to Improve Access to Effective Care
- The Path Forward Releases Guidance for Employers and Health Plans in Anticipation of COVID-19 Mental Health and Substance Use "Second Wave"
- Study Reveals Individuals with Behavioral Health Conditions in Addition to Physical Conditions Drive High Total Healthcare Costs; Small Portion Spent on Behavioral Treatment, Vast Majority Spent on Physical Treatment
Explore the Initiative
- The Path Forward Executive Summary (.pdf)
- The Path Forward Overview (.pdf)
- The Path Forward One-Pager (.pdf)
- Preparing for the Second Wave: The Path Forward for Mental Health and Substance Use in the Face of COVID-19 (.pdf)
- Tele-Behavioral Health for Employees: Pre-COVID Practices and Recommendations for a Post-COVID Path Forward (.pdf)
- Accelerating the Path Forward During Turbulent Times: The Case for Collaborative Care During Covid-19 (.pdf)
- Study: How do individuals with behavioral health conditions contribute to physical and total healthcare spending?